Part II Vocabulary(10 points)
Directions: In this part there are ten sentences, each with one word or phrase underlined. Choose the one from the four choices marked A, B, C and D that best keeps the meaning of the sentence. Mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
11. There will be a ten-minute interval halfway through the performance.
12. Most of Egypt's inhabitants live in the Nile valley and delta, with the rest of the country sparsely populated.
13. The hotel owner was authorized to sell alcoholic drinks in his hotel.
14. Your lawyer's presence in the court room is critical since he may prevent you from being misdirected.
15. Some books are not for you to leaf through, but for you to think through.
16. I was denied access to my account after I typed in the wrong password there times in a row.
17. Lots of people make long-distance commuting to work daily in big cities
18. Guests at Four Seasons Hotels can enjoy delicious meals served on fine china.
19. The energy value of dried fruits is considerably in excess of that of fresh items.
A. short of
B. equal to
C. more than
D. different from
20. When disasters like this happen, we set aside whatever pretty disagreements we may have.